Saturday, July 11, 2009

Borders Book Signing in Farmington CT July 11, 2009

Borders Book Signing in Farmington CT July 11, 2009

Thanks to everyone who attended the book signing today at Borders in Farmington! It's so interesting to talk to women about their own diet wars.

I promised to talk a little about how this book came to be.
A funny thing happened on the way to this book. I was trying to get another book published (on poetry with painting illustrations) and I was getting rejection after rejection. It seems that you have to be dead (or on life support) before anyone will publish poetry.
Anyway, to amuse myself (while waiting for the next rejection letter) I started writing a humorous look at my tortured years of dieting. I wrote about the "principles of dieting" that I learned in many different ways, every new diet, books, magazines, nutrition counselors and on and on. After at least ten years of obsessing about my weight, I finally hopped off The Fat Cell Hamster Wheel and began enjoying food again without becoming anxious about everything I popped in and feeling guilty that I was such an out-of control failure. This book is about self-acceptance, really. About accepting yourself for your great qualities, not equating your worth with how much you weigh. I am not advocating a life of gluttony without exercise, but rather to enjoy life and one of the joys of life is food! Everything in moderation has always been a wise life choice. So, eat healthy and well, have some chocolate (a hot fudge sundae once in a while), stop counting calories (a sure-fire way to keep the obsessive lifestyle operational), exercise as much as you can (you can get obsessed about that, too). But remember, this book is not intended for anyone who is overweight in a way that health is affected. It is for those ranks of women who are a size or two over what they would like to be.

Tell Susan Your Diet Up’s & Down's by Posting your Options in our Comments???

No comments:

Post a Comment