Friday, August 21, 2009

Eating with Remorse

Greetings to The Blogophiles,
We heard today that 30% of Americans are obese. Wow! Being substantially overweight increases the chances of all kinds of health problems: especially heart disease and diabetes. The book I have just released "The Joyful Life of a Diet Dropout" does not advocate an out-of control diet or promote obesity.

I am making the much needed point that as a society, we are becoming obsessed with how we look. If 30% of Americans are obese, than why are 80% of American women on diets? Shouldn't that be 30%? And that figures includes males as far as obesity.

So, why are 50% more of us on diets, over and above the 30% who qualify as obese? I think that those statistics substantiate my claim that we are a nation (and maybe a world) disturbed by "thin thinking".

I was on the "Fat Cell Hamster Wheel" for more years than I care to admit. I wish I could have some of those years back and could have begun to enjoy one of the joys of life (Food!) a long time before I eventually woke up and smelled the bacon.

I read an article on remorseful eating recently that will illustrate what I am saying. This poor lady wrote a whole article on how she ate several chocolate chip cookies and whipped herself all day over how "out of control" she was. She had given in to temptation to wreck her body, she said. She even made a statement that if she succeeded in becoming thin and remained that way for the rest of her life, she would still not be able to enjoy her life because she would suffer from the fear of gaining weight. She used a lot of deep talk in this article about psychological needs and a lot of it was very good. But the remorse she felt over eating these couple of cookies was palpable in this article. She admitted that she did not accept herself for the way she was.
That's the tragedy. I could tell by this article that this was a lady I would love to meet. She was articulate and surely sensitive. She has bought into the lie that the way we look is the all-powerful motivator in life. She believed in exercise and tried to eat a healthy diet. But this little "cookie blip" had catapulted her into the land of self-disgust. Been there, done that.
These delusional "thin thinking" principles are joy busters. It's really okay to have a few cookies! It's not okay to eat yourself into obesity. But it's really more than okay to accept yourself for who you are and giving yourself permission to have a little treat that you en-joy (key word: the last three letters: joy!).
I just had a little baby hot-fudge sundae. First one in months.
Oh, yea baby. There is not a negative vibe floating anywhere near my happy little tummy!
Tell me about your guilt trips?????
Love,
Chocolate Lips

No comments:

Post a Comment