Saturday, August 22, 2009

Was Michael Jackson Bulimic?

Greetings Blogosphere!
Yesterday, I read an interesting blog on eDiets.com by Dr. Abby Aronowitz, Ph.D. It was about Michael Jackson and the possibility of a link to his alleged bulimia in the past to his recent demise.
Dr. Abby talks about Michael's essentially "turning against" himself in different ways (although she didn't put it exactly like that). Eating disorders weaken our bodies, that is a well known fact. And while there may be no "smoking gun" of a current eating disorder in his case, one of his staff was assigned to make sure he ate. That's got to indicate a problem and Dr. Abby makes the valid point that an eating disorder can weaken your body to the extreme of death. Even if the cause of death is a drug addiction, your body is weakenend to the extreme and cannot deal with the physical trauma caused by drug overdose as well as a well nourished body.
I remember the death of Karen Carpenter, another phenomenal musician. I loved her music. Anorexia stole her beautiful voice and robbed us of many songs that we would have loved to hear. She died at a very young age. Anorexia silenced her song. Something silenced Michael Jackson's beautiful song, too. I wonder how much it had to do with an eating disorder. I hope that some day, we will know, so that others may not follow down that fatal path.
I met Senator Chris Dodd (D-Ct) at a Chili Fest in Somers, Ct. where I was doing a book signing. (He bought a book). I was telling him some of the sobering statistics regarding eating disorders in young children. He told me that he will be beginning hearings in Wash. DC on eating disorders in the fall. That's why I put up the Eating Habits Survey on my blog. I'm hoping that many will send me their stories and I will forward them to Sen. Dodd for these hearings. From what people are sharing at my book signings, we only know the tip of the iceburg regarding this subject.
I would love to hear from you. Won't you look over the survey and send me your comments? Do you think that Michael Jackson's death had something to do with pathological eating?
sending love,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment